New GX works across a number of defined industries as part of its investment strategy, with particular focus on:
- Telecommunications, Media and Technology (TMT)
- Waste and Logistics and Others
New GX Enviro and Logistics
New GX Enviro
New GX Enviro Solutions (“New GX Enviro”) is a waste management service provider with operations in the City of Tshwane. New GX Enviro has created over 160 new jobs by sourcing labour from the areas it services. New GX Enviro has also created and developed numerous SMMEs from its service area by procuring services locally where possible.
It provides the following services to over 86,000 households in the townships of Atteridgeville, Lotus Gardens and Olievenhoutbosch:
- Weekly house-to-house refuse removal services (Round Collection);
- Litter picking;
- Bulk container services, as and when required;
- Initiating and supporting community based recycling initiatives; and
- The removal and prevention of illegal dumping.
New GX Enviro has also developed and rolled out the City of Tshwane’s first municipal sponsored, sorting at source, recycling initiative. The program is initially aimed at litter picking plastics and will later rolled out to a 2-bag system for households in formal and informal areas.
New Gx Enviro has been able to vastly improve the level of service and the aesthetics of the above areas through:
- Using technically superior equipment;
- Empowering the community to take ownership of illegal dumps through the Adopt-a-Spot campaign;
- Challenging preconceived notions around waste management;
- Being proactive rather than reactive to waste management challenges; and
- Thinking out of the box for the most effective and efficient delivery mechanism.
Jikelele is a business partnership between New Gx Enviro Solutions and Logistics Holdings and MAC Transco. Jikelele provides coal transportation and loading services from Coal of Africa’s Vele Colliery to the rail siding in Musina. The mine has been operational from early 2012 with a rapid ramp planned for 2015. The services that Jikelele provides includes:
- Providing all the required equipment to collect and deliver the coal;
- Managing the logistics to ensure the timeous delivery of coal;
- Ensuring the optimum functioning of the equipment;
- Ensuring that health and safety standards are applied at all times and that all equipment is roadworthy, complies with its prescribed load limits and has all requisite licenses, approvals, permits, authorities and the like;
- Ensuring that the loading and off-loading operations are supervised by a qualified person; and
- Ensuring that drivers are fit to drive and are trained in the transportation of coal.
New GX Ventures
The entity was set up to support SMME development funding. Focusing on high –end and clean technology, environmentally friendly solutions and companies with great job creation potential. The businesses has thus far through New GX Advisory facilitated the funding of:
- Nobomate through a combination of asset financing and sponsor funds;
- Ntombentle Décor through a combination of funds from IDF, Dartcom and sponsors;
- Jikelele Logistics through a combination of asset funding and sponsor funds; and
- Soft Solutions through funds from New Gx Capital.
The entity is seeking to raise between R50-R80 million to further enhance the funding of SMMEs.